Monday, June 28, 2010

TIP #2: Vinegar: The Ultimate Household Product!



Today, I would like to share with you a great product that has many household uses. And the best part is everyone already has it somewhere in their house. The product is white vinegar.

When I moved into my house in 2003, both the bathroom and kitchen had hideous old wall paper. A friend of mine told me to get a bucket, fill it with 1/2 hot water and 1/2 white vinegar, and apply the mixture to the wallpaper with a sponge. At first, I felt stupid. I thought this was nothing more than a bad practical joke. After all, the whole house smelled like a fresh garden salad, as I applied the vinegar soaked sponge to the wall paper. I continued the process for about 15 minutes with no results. I took a break, came back into the kitchen, and started to notice air pockets forming under the paper. The vinegar was seeping into the paper and loosening the glue. Within a few more minutes, a simple scraper was peeling back the paper with no damage to the drywall. After the paper was completely removed, I washed down the walls with soap and water. The walls were then ready to be primed and painted....thanks to the vinegar.


Did you ever have streaky mirrors or windows? No matter what window cleaner, nothing seems to clear the streaks or smears. In 2004, I needed new windows for the house. The installer told me the best way to keep windows, mirrors, and chrome polished is as follows:

Use a standard spray bottle: fill it with 1/3 water, 1/3 ammonia, and 1/3 white vinegar. Shake the bottle up and start spraying. You will never buy Windex again! Try it. It works.



Finally, this weekend I noticed that my backyard patio pavers are getting that disgusting moss/weed build up between the cracks again. This is something you are not told when deciding to get pavers for the patio. Every season, I have to scrape out the green moss and weed build up between the cracks before filling them with settling sand. However, I was told that the best way to get rid of the moss and weeds is "surpirse..................white vinegar!" I would like to thank my friend Julie Kent ahead of time for the great tip. I'm sure it will work. I will let you know the details if and when this horrible humidity finally disappears, and I can get to work on my patio.


If you have any ideas you want to share, feel free to post a comment or email me at rhilston@aol.com. Also check out http://www.vinegar.com to view other great uses of vinegar.


No comments:

Post a Comment